The Ethiopian Athletics Federation’s general assembly has conducted an urgent meeting on Sunday 26th Nov. 2017 in Addis Ababa to elect women executive committee members and achieved approximately 30/70 ration of the women participation in leadership role as per the directions of IAAF in its first move.
Even though it is a beginning, EAF is striving to achieve the 50/50 target of IAAF and even to go further and beyond in the coming few years.
According to the urgent meeting election result the new leadership structure of EAF is as follows:-
1. Major Athlete Haile Gebresilassie – President (M)
2. Laurite Col. Athlete Derartu Tulu – Senior V/president (Newly elected (F))
3. Athlete Gebregziabher Gebremariam – V/president (M)
4. Dr. Gatlwak Ron Jal – Treasurer (M)
5. Dr. Bezabih Woldie – Member (M)
6. Mr. Belayneh Kindie – Member (M)
7. Mr. Ferid Mehamed – Member (M)
8. Mr. Admasu Saji – Member (M)
9. Mrs. Fozia Edris – Member (Newly elected (F))
10. Athlete Sileshi Sihin – Member (M)
11. Athlete Meseret Defar – Member (F)
According to the EAF general assembly urgent meeting election result the ratio became 3/11; which means it’s almost 30%.
As it is discussed in the meeting, which was led by the EAF president, Major Athlete Haile Gebresilassie, in the future it is promised to make EAF led by women.